Product Review: Topline Cup Holder for Bike
I’ve received several questions regarding my coffee cup holder attached to the handlebars of my bike. So here is a quick review for those interested parties…
I purchased this inexpensive Topline ‘Bar Hopper’ cup holder at a local bike shop last summer. As you can see in the above photo, the cup holder sits at somewhat of an angle due to the curve of the cruiser handlebars and the limited space left next to the basket mounting parts. You can see that this same cup holder mounted on a straight spot on handlebars will sit upright as intended.
Because of this particular issue specific to my using it on a cruiser, my coffee does usually sit on a slight slant which means that it is likely to spill a bit if the thermos is too full. But this is not a problem inherent to the cup holder as much as to my particular set-up.
With that said, here is my pros/cons list for this item:
– it is very easy to install (no extra tools necessary)
– it unscrews easily so that it can quickly and effortlessly moved from one bike to another
– it comes with extra rubber ‘padding’ that helps the clamp secure to various size handlebars
– it is fairly inexpensive
– it jiggles a bit (my ride is very bumpy) but has an overall secure hold on the handlebar (I’ve had no spills to date)
– it jiggles a bit and requires consistent retightening of clamp if you have a bumpy ride
– it only holds a particular size thermos/cup
This latter point is probably my main misgiving. I thought I’d overcome any spilling issues by using a no-spill thermos, but unfortunately, the more bulbous shape of that container is not compatible with the coffee cup holder. As you can see, the cup holder has a specific tapered circumference, necessitating use of the more traditional cup/thermos shape. I’m not sure whether other cup holders out there come with a more forgiving shape, but it appears that a quick google search only resulted in similar shaped cup holders for bikes.
Overall, I am satisfied with this product and would recommend it to others. Especially given the pretty inexpensive price tag. Have you outfitted your bike with a bike holder? Would you recommend a particular one?