garden talk: how to make the most of your rain barrel
I recently wrote about installing a rain barrel and composter in our garden in our quest for greener and more sustainable gardening practices. You can read that post (with some simple steps to getting started on gardening) here.
Today’s post is intended to provide a more in-depth look at the benefits of using a rain barrel along with some how-to tips on the way . So, why use a rain barrel?
- it provides free water for watering your lawn or garden
- it reduces basement flooding by leading water away from your home
- it reduces the amount of water running into lakes and rivers…
- …. which in turn reduces erosion and helps to prevent stormwater pollution of larger bodies of water
Have you considered/is there a way to keep the rain barrel from becoming a still-water breeding ground for mosquitoes?
Despite the minor set-back, it was great to use free rain water to water our potted plants and small vegetable garden. It feels good to know that we’re using natural resources to cultivate our garden.
Want to read more about the benefits of using a rain barrel, tips on setting one up, and information on making the most of it? Check out these useful links…
- Rain Barrel Fact Sheet: Care and Maintanance
- The Master Gardeners’ Guide to a Perfect Rain Barrel System
- How To Build a Rain Barrel – HGTV video on YouTube
- DIY Rain Barrel on Young House Love